Brea Lucci ’13, Staff Writer
Hot Artichoke & Spinach Dip
The fall is here and so is Thanksgiving. For those who are celebrating the holiday or just spending time with their loved ones; this dip is perfect for company! This dip is easy to make and budget friendly.
- 1-2 cups of thawed, chopped frozen spinach. (For frozen vegetables; there are usually deals when buying two bags and you can always keep one in the freezer for later.)
- 1 1/2 cup of artichoke hearts chopped. (I use the brand Pastene artichoke hearts in the can that has the oil and herbs with it. I think it gives the dip a more smoothy texture and adds more flavor.)
- 8 ounces of whipped cream cheese.
- 1/4 cup of miracle whip (if you do not mind the calories, you can use regular mayonnaise.)
- 1/4 cup of light sour cream (again you can use regular instead of light)
- 1/3 cup of grated Parmesan (if the dip appears to be too watery and not thick enough; you can add more cheese)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. Boil spinach and chop them up finely.
2. Chop the artichoke hearts and drain both the spinach and artichoke hearts too keep the dip from being too watery.
3. Discard liquid. If you want you can add a bit of the oil from the can artichoke hearts. 4. Heat the whipped cream cheese in microwave for a minute or until soft to make it easy to incorporate with the other ingredients.
5. Stir in rest of ingredients. I like to put the dip in the oven at 325 degrees for about ten minutes or until hot and at the last five minutes put extra parmesan cheese on top of the dip.
Serve dip hot and with toasted bread; crackers or chips.