Karamarie Joyce ’15, Editor-in-Chief
A Merrimack College professor has been fired after he allegedly used a school computer to access child pornography.
Professor Gary Spring, who was also the chairman of the Merrimack College Civil Engineering Department, was fired Sept. 19. Spring had been on an administrative leave since June, after the college discovered suspicious activity on a computer loaned to him.
After a lengthy investigation, it was determined that Spring was logged onto his Merrimack College computer when virus threat detection alerts were activated. The 61-year-old Danvers resident had been allegedly using the computer to access child pornography.
Search warrants were executed at Spring’s Merrimack College office and his home in Danvers. He was arrested and officially terminated from the college after the FBI charged him with possessing child pornography. He faces a maximum of 20 years in prison, five years to a lifetime of supervised release, and a fine of $250,000.
“The college is grateful for the swift and aggressive investigation by U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz, the FBI, the North Andover Police Department, as well as Merrimack College Police,” said James Chiavelli, Merrimack’s associate vice-president of communications.
Aside from his involvement with the Civil Engineering Department, Spring was also the administrator of the college’s residential summer camp for middle- and high school-aged children. Students who attended these camps ranged in age from 11 to 18 years old.
The FBI and North Andover police have so far given us no reason to believe anyone else from Merrimack College is involved in this case in any way. The US Attorney’s Office has asked that any information or tips go directly to their hotline.
Merrimack has offered the services of Campus Ministry and Hamel Health for all concerned. Father Ray Dlugos and Dean Donna Swartwout met with a group of engineering students the day after the arrest was made public, and will continue to have conversations with small groups of individuals, both students and faculty.
Andrew Douglass ’15, Staff Writer
Over the summer, Merrimack College increased the prices dramatically of the parking decals for both residents and commuter students. In the past, residents who were eligible to have a car on campus would pay $150 for the entire year to park in the designated resident lots. Commuters were given a similar decal for no charge that would allow them to park in designated commuter lots located around campus. This year, in order to have a car on campus residents must pay a $400 decal fee, and commuters must pay $100 for their decal as well. Students who don’t register their vehicle for parking decals are subject to fines in the form of parking tickets, which can ultimately lead to the towing of their vehicle.
Associate Vice President of Communications James A. Chiavelli stated that the administration’s decision to increase parking costs campus-wide was based on the cost of maintaining and policing the lots. Rather than putting the financial burden on the 1,500 students residing on campus without cars, an increase in the price of decals would suffice to alleviate the financial burden, he said. This ensures students with vehicles are the only ones directly paying for the policing of the lots, trash removal of the lots, as well as snow removal.
When asked about the implementation of parking fees for commuters, Chiavelli replied “it was the right time” to make commuters pay for parking. The same expenses apply to the commuter lots as with the resident lots.”
Chiavelli said Merrimack looked at other schools and how they handle the cost, including Salem State, Endicott, and Northeastern. He said Merrimack came to the conclusion that $400 for residents and $100 for commuters would support the lots. He also said it would ensure only students that really need cars on campus would be purchasing the decals.
Any extra money made off decals will help pay for the new shuttle service.
Brooke Coupal ’17, Associate-Editor-in-Chief
With a new year brings new students, and with the incoming freshman increasing every year for Merrimack, more housing for students is in demand.
About 2,800 students currently attend Merrimack College, and with 75% of them wanting to live on campus, the demand for housing is apparent. To accommodate for all these residential students for the 2014-2015 school year, Merrimack has leased apartments across the street at Royal Crest for students to live in.
As the campus continues to expand, more students are being accepted to the college. This results in a need for more housing. Merrimack College has come up with the solution of leasing 19 apartments at Royal Crest to accommodate for these rising numbers of residential students. Within these 19 apartments, about 80 Merrimack students reside in them, through Merrimack’s partnership with Royal Crest, as stated by Sara Hicks, Director of Residence Life. Two resident advisors and two graduate fellows also live there to oversee these students.
According to residence life, for a student who is living over at Royal Crest, they pay the same room and board price as if they were living in a St. Thomas or St. Ann apartment on campus. These students receive the same furniture, free laundry, Wi-Fi, and cable, a full equipped kitchen, and air conditioning just like the students living in on campus apartments. They are allowed a 5 meal plan, which is only offered to residential students living in an apartment. Students at Royal Crest also have the opportunity to have their car at the apartment complex, and are able to take the new Merrimack shuttle to and from the campus.
Even though these students are off campus, “they still follow under the Merrimack College umbrella,” as said by Hicks. Having students over at Royal Crest, under the Merrimack College residence life, is an extension of housing for the college.
Photo Credit: Vaughn Winchell
Lance Hill ’15, Media Editor
The women’s volleyball team is ready to take on another season full force. The Warriors haven’t wasted any time going against the competition at the start of their season. With some new additions along with some veterans, they are sure to get things rolling no matter what stands in their way in hopes of creating a championship contending team.
Their season started the first week in September and they did start off a little rocky. Coming off a loss against Southern New Hampshire University(3-2) but bounced right back with a victory against St. Michael’s(3-1) on their home court.
The team then headed to Delaware for a huge test against some tough opponents. They started off the invitational with a loss to Holy Family 3-2 followed by three straight wins against Dowling(3-0 final), Wilmington(3-0 final), and Millersville(3-1 final). Junior libero Madison Burke played like a champion at the Delaware Invitational with 20 digs against Wilmington and 18 against Millersville.
Senior Corrine Gosselin felt that the team didn’t play up to their potential but then turned the corner in the final few games.
“We were off to a bad start and played down to the other teams level”. “We kept our intensity high for the rest of the games, everyone was so loud and cheering on the court and bench. We really wanted the win,” said Gosselin.
Merrimack senior Aliya Rakhmetova thought that it was a great building block weekend and that they took some much needed wins against some serious competition.
“It was a successful and fun weekend,” said Rakhmetova. “We had some big wins that will help us in the long run. We beat teams that usualy win their conference and make it to NCAA’s”.
“We’re here to win, and we refuse to back down.”
Last season the Warriors went all the way to the to the NE-10 championship falling just short to rival New Haven 3-2. With the team looking nearly identical to last years tem, the Warriors know that it’s championship or bust,
“I’m expecting a championship from us,” said senior captain Stephanie Sheehan. “We are more than capable of it, it just depends on how we choose to play each game. We have the potential, we just need to believe in ourselves. As long as we give everything we have I know we will be successful”.
The Warrior’s will play next on September 30th against conference rival Saint Anselm at 7pm at Hammel Court.
The Clancy Clan
Tim MacLean ’16, Staff Writer
It is often said that, in life, things don’t always go exactly the way you plan. Instead we frequently find ourselves forced to seek alternative routes that will ultimately result in us completing the task at hand or achieving the goal we’ve set.
Nobody seems to understand that any better than former Merrimack quarterback, Joe Clancy, who had hoped to join the game’s elite in the National Football League following a stellar career as a Warrior.
At first, it seemed as though Clancy was closer to reaching that goal than anyone realized when NFLDraftScout.com – a site that ranks draft hopefuls based on their abilities as well as their collegiate success – ranked him as the 46th best quarterback in the 2014 draft class. Of course, when you tally nearly 10,000 yards passing, complete 63.7 percent of your passes, and record 89 touchdowns through the air over the course of your career, you’ve got a good chance to open some eyes. Unfortunately, despite his success, Clancy went undrafted and was forced to put his dream on hold.
Rather than give up, Clancy kept working, and after just two months of toiling in free agency he received a unique opportunity to play for the Orebro Black Knights in the Swedish Super Series, which is considered to be the top league in Sweden.
“They had an injury to their quarterback and were looking to sign me and fly me over ASAP,” Clancy told me. “It happened very fast but it was an easy decision for me. I was anxious to play, and the opportunity to live in another country was something I was also interested in.”
The Black Knights weren’t the only team that was seeking to bring on the talented prospect, but Clancy ultimately decided to sign with them due to the fact that they were midseason. For him, it meant getting the chance to play right away while also spending as little time possible overseas, allowing him to explore other opportunities in the States should they present themselves.
But going to Sweden also meant that he would have to make some major adjustments in his life, especially on the football field.
“I think the biggest adjustment was playing in a system that was simple compared to ones I have played in [before],” he explained. “Getting guys to understand how to run routes against certain defenses or blocking certain defensive fronts was challenging. I was doing my best to pass along all the things I’ve learned [from] playing in the United States.”
“The time I spent over there was valuable,” Clancy said of his experience playing with the Black Knights. “Not just working on my own physical skills, but having to be more than just a player, almost like a coach. As a quarterback you’re always trying to be a leader, but this experience meant I had to do more for my teammates, trying to help them as much as I can.”
Clancy’s time spent in Sweden, along with his personal improvement as a quarterback, were enough to earn him another great opportunity back in the States. He recently signed with the Boston Brawlers of the FXFL, a league that hopes to become the equivalent to Major League Baseball’s farm systems or the NBA’s Development League – in other words, a steppingstone to the highest level. Training camp gets underway on September 25th, giving teams just two weeks to prepare before the season kicks off on October 8th. But despite the lack of time to jell as a unit, one thing’s for certain: Joe Clancy will be ready.
“Hopefully this will lead to even more opportunities,” he said. “My goal is still to play in the NFL.”
Tom Conley ’15, Associate Sports Editor
Merrimack athletes are finally back on campus. Our warriors have been doing everything to get back in the swing of things, preparing for their upcoming seasons. The one team on campus having the most challenging adjustment is the baseball team. To everyone’s surprise the team’s head coach, James Martin, has left his job at Merrimack, accepting the job as the University of Rhode Island’s head assistant coach. News of Martin’s departure was bitter sweet for the staff as well as the players. Although the team will miss the coach who lead them to a 30-19 record in 2013, and took them to the Northeast 10 conference championship, being one game away from a regional tournament bid, the baseball program is excited for their beloved former coach and his new opportunity at a Division 1 school.
The report of Martin’s new job came later than the team would have liked, being only a few days prior to move in day. As of now, the team is still in search for Martin’s replacement, however his assistant and head pitching coach of 4 years, Nick Barese, is running all baseball activities until further notice. When asked about why he left, Coach Barese stated, “I think it was a great opportunity for him”. “Him and his wife are about to have a kid and start a family, and just security wise, it was the best situation for his family. I know he definitely loved Merrimack, loved being here, loved the program here, and the school itself and I know it was a tough decision for him, but it was the best decision for him and his family.”
Barese was once another one of Martin’s students of the game while he was playing for him in college. If anyone can relate to how the players feel on Martin’s exit, Barese would be the perfect example. “It’s tough on a personal standpoint.” Barese said when asked about his feelings on the former coach leaving his personal staff and players.
“Coach martin was someone who was my coach when I was in college, someone I developed a really good relationship with, a guy I definitely consider a mentor, someone who taught me a lot about the game, about how to run a program. I know it’s the same thing for the players I know all the players liked him and had a lot of respect for him. We are really going to miss him.”
Despite the lack of a head coach, the team isn’t going to dwell on anything. The program is still playing out as scheduled with all fall ball activities running smoothly. For these warriors everything is business as usual, and they are determined to bounce back from this minor setback. Coach Barese addressed the team’s future and what the spring has in store for them saying,
“Every year our goals don’t change, we’re trying to win the conference championship, and make the regional playoff. Unfortunately you can’t look that far into the future, you got to worry one day at a time. My focus today is on the practice today and what we accomplish today, but we have great leaders in this program, and a great remaining coaching staff. What we make of that opportunity will be determined in the spring, but I’m really excited about the team, we have a great group of guys.”
One of the players certainly affected by the change of the head coaching position is All American, junior infielder, Frank Crinella. Since Crinella has been at Merrimack with Martin at the helm, he’s helped him achieve awards such as NE 10 Rookie of the Year, East Region Rookie of the Year, NE 10 Player of the Year, and not to mention Division 2 East Region Player of the Year. Along with Crinella’s success with Martin, he has also developed one of the strongest relationships with the coach while he was here. When asked about his departure and how this year’s team could bounce back from it Crinella said,
“As a team we will miss Coach Martin. He was a great leader and somebody we could resort to off the field. We will have to come together and respect the game like we always have. Coach left us with great baseball knowledge. It’s up to us to prove ourselves.”
The program seems to be reacting to this tough time appropriately. The program is still running accordingly and the team’s motives for this year haven’t changed without their coach being there. The only question that stands now is who will be leading the Warrior’s into their first game of the season. Coach Barese seems as though he is the most deserving of this job, with the whole program behind him. After asking him why he would be the best choice for the new position, Barese is humbled in his response saying,
“I’ve been here for 4 years and have been a big contributor to building this program and recruiting players. I’ve had a lot of success not only on the field but academically as well as in the community. I certainly believe I’ve earned the opportunity. I think the administration has given me a great chance to prove a lot to them by letting me run this fall season. I’ll prove to them I’m capable of bringing this program beyond to what we’ve already accomplished. I’m very confident that I’m the best guy for this job.”
Bridget McAnulty ’15, Staff Writer
Severe thunderstorms rolled across campus on Saturday, September 6 around 5 PM. There were several reports of flooding and fallen trees around many parts of the Andover and North Andover areas according to local officials. High winds and heavy rain almost made it impossible for drivers on the road to see even ten feet ahead of them according to Senior Nikki Wanless who was frantically trying to return to campus after being caught in the storm. “My windshield wipers were on full speed and I was just driving based off of the faint break lights from the car ahead of me,” Wanless said.
There were also reports of brief power outages in several residence halls on campus. According to sophomore Joanna Haswell, the lights and TV in her Deegan West dorm room flickered multiple times during the storm before loosing power all together for a few brief moments. Senior Kelly Vaillancourt along with many other students residing at the on campus apartments reported loosing power for a short time more than once during the storm. The head of public relations here at Merrimack College, Jim Chiavelli, told The Boston Globe that “a Dunkin Donuts worker was struck by lightning during the storm around 5:20 PM” on Saturday evening. “The worker was moving trash behind the store when lightning struck him,” Chiavelli said. “The man was conscious and alert, and was taken to an area hospital where he was not admitted,” said Chiavelli.
Reports of damaging and even deadly lightning strikes were across the surrounding area. According to WCVB Channel 5 Boston, two women were struck by lightning while in the water at an Ipswich beach on Saturday evening during the storm. The women were unresponsive and rushed to Beverly Hospital where they were placed in critical condition before being transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital according to WCVB. Marguerite Tomany, 61 and Marianne Melnick, 69, later died due to their life-threatening injuries.